October 21, 2016
October 25, 2016: Critical Community Meeting on Local Homeless Facilities
On October 25th from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m., The NYC Department of Homeless Services will host a forum on Street Homelessness at 225 East 23rd Street. It is imperative that NoMad residents make their voices heard at this meeting, because NoMad, Flatiron and the surrounding areas are carrying an outsized burden of housing the City’s homeless population. These locations include:
- The Latham Hotel, 4 East 28th Street — 228-room SRO housing women and children
- The Prince George, 14 East 28th Street — 416 units of low income, transitional housing
- Bowery Residents Committee, 127 West 25th Street — 328-bed men’s shelter
- La Semana Hotel, 25 West 24th Street — PROPOSED 48-bed shelter
- Clarion Hotel, 429 Park Avenue South — 60-room SRO
- HRA Men’s Shelter, 400 E 30th St — 850-bed shelter
- In a recent surprise revelation, it has been learned that the MAve Hotel has been quietly converting to a 72-room SRO, without community knowledge.
This is a total of 2,002 homeless units in our area.
The Flatiron Bid and the Madison Square Park Conservancy have been at the forefront of addressing homeless needs in the area, but these organizations have limited resources to address the issues raised by all of these homeless facilities, many of which have no common spaces, kitchen facilities, or social services.
The community is sympathetic to the plight of the homeless, and we are confident that the City can find a solution that meets the needs of the homeless community in the long-term without disrupting the vibrancy of the neighborhood.
It’s important that all voices are heard and local neighborhood groups are consulted in these plans, which may affect all residents in the neighborhood and the economic viability of many businesses.
The community’s involvement at the CB5 meeting on September 1st made a difference. Please attend and have your voice heard.
Seating is limited. Please RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Street Homelessness Solutions Forum
American Sign Language and English Preparatory School
October 25th, 6 – 8:30 p.m.
225 East 23rd Street