May 25, 2020
Fashion District Virtual Tour Wednesday with Mike Kaback
Michael Kaback, born and raised in NYC, has grown up both in and with New York City. Since 1997, he has introduced the details and wonders of New York City to people from almost every continent. An avid reader of NYC history publications, Mike is chock full of wonderful anecdotes and stories learned both from the city’s storied past and from his own intrepid curiosity.
For over 2 decades Mike has been refining this walking tour or the Fashion District and now he is presenting it as his first virtual tour. This is a unique opportunity to learn about one of the prime drivers of New York City’s economy over many decades, and the dramatic changes it brought to U.S. labor relations and laws.
Mike’s tour will include:
- His personal experiences in the Fashion District/industry over the last half century, including changes in fashion through the years
- Immigrants and the growth of the NYC apparel industry, touching on factories and workers and visits into several factories over the years
- The Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire of 1911and the role of unions and gangsters in the industry
- How the Garment District of today relocated to its current location, and the rise of Fashion Avenue and The Fashion Walk of Fame.
- A look into the future of the garment industry.
- And much more!
The number of participants is limited so please let Mike Kaback know you’re interested ASAP:
Once you sign up with Mike, he will send you the Zoom meeting details.