August 14, 2020
Back-to-School has Everyone Getting Into the Swing
Back-to-School has everyone getting into the swing. And Jazz at Lincoln Center is helping the whole family find ways to enjoy the music that’s near and dear to NoMad. Regardless of whether you live among the storied streets of NoMad’s Tin Pan Alley or near where Harlem’s groundbreaking Savoy or Cotton Club made history, any New Yorker (actually anyone), can log on and get in the groove.
Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Jazz Academy
For older jazz fans, Jazz Academy offers the world’s largest free library of jazz lessons. Access some of the best jazz teachers and artists of the day. Whether listening or playing is how you enjoy jazz best, there’s something for everyone.
Here is a taste of the wealth of topics available:
- Music of Africa: Explore the music of West and of South Africa through videos by South African supergroup Uhadi, by Cape Town artists Kyle Shepherd and Kesivan Naidoo, and by guitarist Derek Gripper.
- How to Play Guitar: Learn about left-hand technique, rootless voicings, building your own routines, and blending your sound with a band and more.
- How to Develop a Practice Routine: Master saxophonist Ted Nash talks about how to develop a practice routine that you enjoy, maintain, and customize to meet your needs as a musician.
- Rhythm Section Lessons: Piano, organ, guitar, bass, drums, and percussion – learn more about these instruments’ roles in an ensemble, and find out about some practice techniques to build your own proficiency on your instrument.
- Woodwinds Master Class: Learn more about breathing, embouchure, and woodwind techniques. Then, expand your performance technique with Blues inflections.
- Essentially Ellington: A free program for high school jazz bands, Essentially Ellington aims to elevate musicianship, broaden perspectives and inspire performance.
From beginner to expert, there’s sure to be a jazz topic for everyone in the household. Log on and see how back-to-school has everyone getting into the swing and learning something new.
If you’re looking for live performance jazz, check out NoMad’s The Jazz Gallery offerings: Livestream Concerts, Words & Music Happy Hours, and Lockdown Sessions.