June 1, 2020
An Urgent Message from the Executive Director of the Flatiron Bid
Dear Flatiron & NoMad Property Owners, Retailers, Residents & Building/Property Managers:
Last night, the civil unrest in response to the death of George Floyd spilled over into Flatiron and NoMad. This morning, Partnership staff recorded physical damage in our district, which consisted of cracked and broken storefront windows on approximately 13 buildings. Several stores were broken into and had merchandize removed as well. We’ve been in coordination with various property owners and managers on the building damage and have observed many repairs. Our cleaning crews have assisted when needed while also addressing graffiti and damage to our district’s planners, trash cans and other public fixtures.
Although Flatiron/NoMad has not been the center of organized protests in Manhattan, that could change given our central open/gathering spaces and proximity to other congregating spaces like Union Sq. Nevertheless, the damage inflicted on local properties and businesses last night means everyone should be prepared.
We understand property owners and retailers are having to make some very difficult decisions right now on how to best protest their premises. Based on our conversations with the NYPD and other BIDs, the Partnership suggests seriously considering the following precautionary measures to secure your buildings during any future civil unrest:
- Secure your premises/building:
- Remove merchandise from storefront;
- Install physical barriers on ground floor to prevent break-ins through storefronts or other ground-floor access points (points of entry/exit should continue to be operational);
- Leave lights on overnight on the ground floor;
- Check security systems, security cameras, security of entrances;
- Do not buzz strangers into building;
- Place garbage (residential or commercial) out in the morning for collection during the day and do not leave garbage on sidewalk overnight as it poses a potential fire risk
Please note that there are several planned day-light protests identified for north (Times Square) and south (1 Police Plaza) of our neighborhood.
Partnership staff are in close contact with our partners at NYPD and DSNY. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions/concerns. Wishing everyone all the best and be safe.